ISEAL is looking for a new Finance Manager to manage the day-to-day finance function in an international not-for-profit organisation. This includes the management of a small finance team and working closely with the organisation´s management accounting function.
ISEAL is the global membership organisation for sustainability systems and includes many of the most respected sustainability schemes worldwide. ISEAL members cover social and environmental sustainability issues – from labour rights and sustainable livelihoods to biodiversity conservation – and are active across a diverse range of sectors. Find out more on our website www.iseal.org.
The Finance Manager is involved in all aspects of work of a small finance team of five part time staff, under the oversight of the Director, Finance & Operations.
While there is a separate management accounting role, a part of the responsibility of both the financial accounting and management accounting roles is to support each other where necessary, in order to achieve an even workload and in order to achieve the overall finance team delivery objectives. The management accounting role responsibilities include donor reporting, grant audits, quarterly project reforecasting, supporting programme and project managers with financial information and staff time management, supporting Partnerships manager with proposal budgets and grant income tracking,
The ideal candidate will bring knowledge and experience of managing financial systems and procedures, overseeing delivery of related accounting functions, ideally in a project -based setting, as well as experience in managing and developing direct reports. A flexible and pro-active approach to work, strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, both in person and remotely, round off the preferred candidate´s profile.
In return, ISEAL offers involvement in all aspects of the financial management of an international NGO environment, an inspiring insight into the world of sustainability initiatives and a supportive organisational culture.
- Oversee and coordinate work of other finance staff on financial data capture, transaction processing, procedures and controls, acting as back up when required
- Own responsibility for accounting system and for the integrity and security of financial processes and controls
- Manage and carry out or oversee all tasks related to day-to-day delivery of the financial accounting function
- Oversee or perform month/quarter-end closing procedures, fixed assets, prepayments, nominal reconciliations
- Prepare quarterly financial accounts and other regular or ad hoc reports for the senior management team and ISEAL’s finance committee
- Coordinate annual budget process and preparation of draft and final budgets for approval
- Manage day-to-day banking relationships, cash flow planning, including movements between currency accounts and foreign exchange processes
- Prepare annual statutory accounts and manage annual organisational audit
- Model key financial figures (reserves, indirect costs, overall financial indicators)
- Fulfil requirements of VAT reporting and compliance with corporation tax reporting requirements
- Ensure compliance with charity accounting requirements
- Deliver financial due diligence checks for new major grantees, member applicants and new significant suppliers
- Contribute to preparation for grant audits
- Facilitate finance team meetings and work planning
- Support and act as back up on management accounting activities
- Line manage Finance Coordinator and Finance Assistant
- Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Working closely with Director, Finance & Operations to manage capacity
- Other tasks as advised by line manager
Experience, knowledge and attributes
- ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualification
- Solid professional work experience in overseeing a finance function, ideally in an international setting using multiple currencies
- Proficiency with Excel and ability to analyse, manipulate and present data to non-finance colleagues
- Ability to respond flexibly to demands of the role and work in a small finance team
- High level of accuracy in own work and ability to check work done by others
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with colleagues, including remotely based individuals, where most interaction will be virtual
- Well-honed interpersonal skills, displaying professionalism, tact and awareness of others, including sensitivity to cultural differences and perceptions
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, with ability to establish priorities for self and others
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to manage and motivate others
- Experience with donor reporting and/or financial project reporting
- Experience of using Sage 50 software
- Interest in issues of sustainable consumption and/or environmental issues
Other relevant information
Initial 12 months contract with view to extend
£47 – 52k pro rata, depending on experience
Part-time, 3-4 days to be agreed. Based on a full time 37.5 hours per week
Based in ISEAL’s London head office, with a hybrid approach to work. An ability and willingness to work from home is required.
Applicants will need to provide evidence that they are entitled to work in the UK
25 days / year (including office closure between Christmas and New Year)
Ideal start date:
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a current CV and a statement explaining how they meet the selection criteria for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job title ‘Finance Manager´. Specific enquiries about this role and the application process can be sent to the same email.
Deadline for applications: 29 June 2022
We encourage early application, as we will start to interview at the earliest opportunity.
We regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.