ISEAL is recruiting for a motivated individual who is interested in sustainability to join our team for a seven-month internship supporting the preparation and coordination of our event activities during that period.
Application deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with initial interviews taking place in late October, so early application is strongly encouraged.
Location: London, UK
Duration: November/December 2018 – May/June 2019 (desired start date: as early as November 15, 2018)
Wage: London living wage: £10.20/hour (as per 2018) for London based interns. See Internship Programme document for further details.
Travel: Limited travel may be required
ISEAL’s calendar of events ranges from workshops to launch events and big international symposia.
In 2019, ISEAL is organising a series of events and workshops for the sustainability standards and certification movement including a symposium in London, which is a gathering point for all of the members and organisations in our network. The events will cover a variety of exciting topics, such as the impacts of sustainability standards, and will feature the work of innovative projects. They will involve many sessions, speakers and side meetings so there is a great deal of planning and preparation required for all the events.
In addition to the core support on events, the intern will also assist in the cataloguing and coding of resources on the ISEAL community website, to prepare for major website improvements. Through this work, the intern will gain a broad awareness of ISEAL’s work and the resources ISEAL produces to support its members and wider community.
This is an excellent opportunity for any intern aspiring for a career in the sustainability sector to build his or her skills and experience in event planning and coordination as well as in working in a busy global not-for-profit environment with colleagues from many international backgrounds. The intern will benefit from being part of a dynamic team dealing with many other organisations and individuals around the world.
As a full part of the ISEAL team, the intern will have the opportunity to attend the 2019 staff retreat and learn more about the wider work of the organisation.
We are looking for someone who is versatile and organised, with good people and communication skills. The right person is self-motivated and comfortable working in a dynamic environment with multiple tasks and activities to support. The opportunity is ideal for someone who wants to gain valuable experience in how a not-for-profit organisation operates and have exposure to a very active and quickly evolving area of sustainability.
You will play an active role in our Events team, helping to organise logistics and registrations and make preparations for the events. You will support the sourcing of services as well as communicate with attendees, speakers and partners. You will coordinate with ISEAL´s Communications Team supporting the production of related materials and web pages. You will also support ISEAL’s work to improve its web presence by assisting with the cataloguing and coding of web-based resources.
To maximise your learning, you will be involved in, and receive training, in some of the following areas:
• Processing online registrations and responding to enquiries
• Programme production such as gathering of speaker photos and bios
• Outreach and support to conference speakers and ISEAL members
• Liaising with venue, catering and other service providers
• Logistics and planning for the events
• Website communications and editing
• Drafting of conference materials
• Support in implementing event marketing strategies
• Select tasks related to email campaigns, blogging, multimedia and other communications activities
• Organisation of data and mailing lists
• Development of an event app
• Strong organisational skills and time management
• Ability to deal with enquiries via e-mail and phone
• Excellent English language skills (spoken and written)
• At ease with IT based systems
• Confidence in completing administrative and logistical tasks
• Creativity and ability to take initiative
• Interest in sustainability issues
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Prior experience in event support desired but not essential
- Full training will be provided for necessary systems and processes.
- Interested candidates must be legally allowed to work in the UK.
- Interns are not entitled to any employee benefits provided to ISEAL employees.
This is a seven-month full-time internship with a desired start date in mid-November 2018 (optionally starting at the beginning of December 2018). Some travel may be required, with all expenses to be covered by ISEAL. Relevant travel documentation has to be in place.
If you would like to express an interest in this internship, please send your CV, along with a statement about why this internship appeals to you, to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with first interviews taking place in late October. Due to an anticipated high number of applications we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates for an initial telephone interview.