ISEAL is recruiting for a motivated individual who is interested in sustainability to join our team for a 5-6 months internship supporting the preparation and coordination of our event activities during that period.
Application deadline: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with initial interviews taking place in early January, so early application is strongly encouraged.
Location: London, UK
Duration: February 2020 – June/July 2020 (desired start date: early February 2020)
Wage: London living wage: £10.75/hour (as per 2019 rate). See Internship Programme document for further details.
Travel: Some international travel may be required
ISEAL is the global membership organisation for sustainability systems and includes many of the most respected sustainability schemes worldwide. ISEAL members cover social and environmental sustainability issues – from labour rights and sustainable livelihoods to biodiversity conservation – and are active across a diverse range of sectors. Find out more on our website www.iseal.org.
In 2020, ISEAL is organising the Global Sustainability Standards Symposium in Switzerland, where we will convene sustainability standards, the business community and other stakeholders to establish a vision for attaining the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. The event will involve many sessions, speakers and side meetings so there is a great deal of planning and preparation required, which the intern will be engaged with
In addition to the core support on the symposium, the intern will also provide communications and logistics support for other projects, including the 2020 revision of the ISEAL Credibility Principles. Through this work, the intern will be able to gain a broader awareness of ISEAL’s activities.
This is an excellent opportunity for any intern aspiring for a career in the sustainability sector to build their skills and experience in event planning and coordination, as well as in working in a busy global not-for-profit environment with colleagues from many international backgrounds. The intern will benefit from being part of a dynamic team dealing with many other organisations and individuals around the world.
As a full part of the ISEAL team, the intern will also have the opportunity to attend the 2020 staff retreat in March and learn more about the wider work of the organisation.
We are looking for someone who is versatile and organised, with good people and communication skills. The right person is self-motivated and comfortable working in a dynamic environment with multiple tasks and activities to support. The opportunity is ideal for someone who wants to gain valuable experience in how a not-for-profit organisation operates and have exposure to a very active and quickly evolving area of sustainability.
As Events intern, you will play an active role in our events team, helping to organise logistics and registrations and prepare for the events. You will support the sourcing of services as well as communicate with attendees, speakers and partners. You will coordinate with ISEAL´s communications team supporting the production of related materials and web pages. In supporting some of ISEAL´s other projects, you will undertake research, develop communications materials and execute project management tasks.
To maximise your learning, you will be involved in, and receive training, in some of the following areas:
• processing online registrations and responding to enquiries
• programme production such as gathering of speaker photos and bios
• outreach and support to conference speakers and ISEAL members
• liaising with venue, catering and other service providers
• logistics and planning for the events
• website communications and editing
• drafting of conference materials
• support in implementing event marketing strategies
• select tasks related to email campaigns, blogging, multimedia and other communications activities
• organisation of data and mailing lists
• development of an event app
• strong organisational skills and time management
• ability to deal with enquiries via e-mail and phone
• excellent English language skills (spoken and written)
• at ease with IT based systems
• confidence in completing administrative and logistical tasks
• creativity and ability to take initiative
• interest in sustainability issues
• excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
• prior experience in event support desired but not essential
• French or German language skills desired but not essential
- Full training will be provided for necessary systems and processes.
- Interested candidates must be legally allowed to work in the UK.
- Interns are not entitled to any employee benefits provided to ISEAL employees.
This is a six-month full-time internship with a desired start date in mid-January 2020 (optionally starting In February 2020). Some international travel may be required, with all expenses to be covered by ISEAL. Relevant travel documentation has to be in place.
If you would like to express an interest in this internship, please send your CV, along with a statement about why this internship appeals to you, to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, but no later than 8 January 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with first interviews taking place in early January. Due to an anticipated high number of applications we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates for an initial telephone interview.