The Innovations Fund is at the heart of the ISEAL Innovations Programme, enabling sustainability systems to practically test projects that drive efficiency and effectiveness.
The Fund supports innovations that help sustainability systems deliver more value to their stakeholders and effectively drive improvement over time, and at scale. We do this because the sustainability landscape is changing, and it will be through innovation that these tools can continue to play a leadership role in transforming whole sectors toward sustainability.
Our Guiding Principles are:
- Innovation: Each pilot tests new ideas, tools or approaches;
- Relevance: The innovation forwards the collective agenda and common vision of ISEAL members;
- Replicability: There is high potential for replicability across different standards systems, sectors and geographic regions;
- Engaging beneficiaries: Where applicable, there is strong buy-in from target beneficiaries, supporting engagement in both the design and implementation phases;
- Measurability: Each project has a results framework to connect outputs to desired outcomes and to guide data gathering and reporting against key indicators;
- Collaboration: The project takes a partnership approach, engaging other standards systems or integrating with other sustainability tools or frameworks;
- Value for money: A project’s budget and activities are proportionate to their expected impact.
Over the course of the five years of the Fund, we have supported a range of projects that address the key challenges to the ongoing effectiveness of sustainability systems. Project themes have included: data capture and management, risk-based approaches to assurance, outcome-based standards and M&E, traceability models, and scalable solutions like stepwise models, learning platforms and landscape approaches.